being simple as it should be
more than enough to understand
indeed friends when in need

Thursday, January 15, 2009

No particular topic

No specific objectives for this entry nor any specific title. I am just writing aimlessly; just like what I am doing now. Yes, I know I am supposedly to be doing my FYP now. But come on, it's MARKETING! I have my time scheduled out and of course, and as usual, I am ahead of schedule. So what is there to worry? I am left with E-Case development. I think the E-Case is interesting, because it not only surrounds Marketing, but also human psychology! =D Positioning: The battle for your mind; how to be seen and heard in a crowded marketplace. The concepts inside this book are real good and they also provide examples or case scenarios. I am done reviewing the book and for the E-Case, I am to summarize the concepts and relate to theories taught during the coursework. Also, I am to analyse a business and relate theories and concepts in the book to the latter. How interesting, isn't it?

7th January: NUS had it's undergraduate seminar. They sent a letter to students informing them; I was in Suzhou - FYPing! A string of "interesting" events at NUS. Firstly, went to the Faculty of Science talk. Incredible! 97 Poly students were admitted to FoS in 2008! So what's the total enrolment? A neat 1200! *I was like WTF!* Best part - they had the University Scholars Program. Then, there was this GIRL who came up to us and started promoting the USP and NUS. THEN, she asked me, "Are you from Tao Nan?" =/ This world is indeed SMALL! Apparently, we were from the same CCA, same cohort! -_-''' Nice one huh... So I went to check my yearbook after she gave me her name. Ok, great. There she was! haha... The next thing was I realised my friend in VJC knows her and is in the same cohort as her too! I was totaled lah! Never say Singapore is too big!

12th January: my blog was discovered, and so was the Forex part. I did the Foreign Exchange coverage once before I went to Australia. My predictions for the AUD were ACCURATE, ok? haha. If you look back, I did a prediction for a 3 month period and it really went to that rate. Of course, my coverage did not extend to Sep 08. Now, that was also when the AUD went rocket high and took a free-fall when US fell victim to the Credit cunch. So why did I mention that I was discovered? .... .... I was supposed to be in school that morning at the International Programs Office when I saw Mr Richard. "You making a lot of money hor?" And I was like, "huh?!" He added, "Your blog...", Me: "ok... haha" *i was thinking - omg. cover got blown!* Anyway, that was about it la. How often do you see a LIFE SCIENCE STUDENT being so interested in Investments and Financial Instruments? LOL!

14th January: I was supposedly to be doing my FYP, E-Case development. BUT, I was also logged on to SGX. =/ Frankly, buying into stocks can be quite risky if not enough homework have been done. But here again, who preempted the stupid sub-prime crisis? Total value of Investments droped 66% over the past year! I am so pissed! Now, is to hold and wait for a market recovery which could possibly happen in 3 to 5 years... FOOL!

So what was I doing on SGX while doing my E-Case? haha... I was looking for some quick moving counters that I had 80% confidence in. Some contra activities, people! That's basically selling off outstanding positions before they were due. Neat! 2 hours earned my mum SGD350 (after deducting all the misc charges)... Well, this does not happen everytime. It's basically luck and some market movements observations. That was for Keppel Corporation. Next one I am eyeing is DBS Bank. Past 5 year graphs reflected a lowest of SGD8 per share. Now, its SGD8.09. Theoretically, it should be safe to go in since the share is at it's support line. BUT, it's still early to say. US Trade deficit is hitting history's highest, more bailouts from the Fed, etc. Can't really predict much in this highly volatile environment. Another is Singapore Petroleum (SPC). Now trading at a third of its actual trading value. Great buy, definitely. But must be prepared to hold. Oil prices and demands are very low now, but SPC has diversified business to sustain it's growth. As the saying goes, what goes up must come down, vice versa. It is only a matter of time.

Secondly, I am also looking at Australian dollar and New Zealand dollar Fixed deposits. Previously, both high-yielding currencies had interest rates of 6 to 8% p.a. The rates now are low, but I guess, still not low enough to enter. There is a difference if one buys hard currencies and sells them off at a higher price and one who buys into ForEx using the bank's Foreign Currency Fixed Deposits (FCFD). Interest rates now lie at a low 3.5% on average, and it would still decline if both currencies depreciates. Well, AU and NZ are highly dependent on commodities and trade exports. World slows, they slow. So I am just waiting again. I have seen statistics of 20 year ForEx rates from the governements and IF AUD and NZD drops to lowest of 0.90 and 0.68 respectively, I am IN!

What I am looking at now or my objectives now is not only Capital preservation but also seek regular income from Unit Trusts and Structured Deposits. However, both are non-performers now. I would recommend, if you want to go into SD, might as well go and put your savings into Maybank's iSavvy account which earns up to 1.38% p.a. It is infact better even though most SD now offers up to 1.8%p.a. At least, your investments are not frozen!

I think that is all for the investments part. Next is my uni application.

People ask, why am I doing so much of active investments? Well, if you understand inflation and currency depreciation, you would understand my actions. I have to save for my University fees and my misc. spending. As it is, I am not a big spender and a tight controller of my own finances. I have to plan for rainy days, and in the event I do not make it to local universities, I have contingencies to go overseas! Anyway, I submitted for application to SMU and come Feb, to NUS and NTU.

NUS: Business Admin (Accounting), Business Admin, Economics, Political Science, BSc Biology
NTU: Accounting, Business Mgmt, Economics, Biological Sciences, Education

I am still seeking opinions on whether to put Business Mgmt or Accounting as first choice. And, I also don't know if I even stand a chance in securing a place with them. But, instead of worrying, might as well just submit and wait for the results. There are SO many people who's GPA are way higher than mine. zzz....

Ok, that's enough for now... Till next time!

Only Love - Trademark